Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A new dawn, a new day

We still have quite a struggle ahead of us, as our new President Elect said last night.

But what an extraordinary victory for him and for this country!

Now, remember, we still have a civil *rights* war to wage: for the right of same-sex couples to marry. This proposition was to amend the California constitution, but like Prohibition was overturned in the American Constitution, so can this blatant smothering of humans' intrinsic right to LOVE and to benefit from everything that comes from a harmonious union.

With the escalating rates of divorce among straight couples, why is it so important to stop same-sex people from marrying, who TRULY LOVE one another? As one of my friends put it, in her plea against Pop 8, can you imagine being in the hospital and the one you love being forbade to be by your side because they are not "family"? Put aside your straightness and your morals and your preconceived notions of whatever God or Nature or whatever you believe tells you only a man and a woman should marry, just for one second, and imagine the despair of being deathly ill and alone. Walled off from the healing touch of your love's hand...

Biracial couples were once not allowed to marry. Hell, people STILL have a problem with it, but at least it's legal! This is not a moral issue, it is a CIVIL RIGHTS issue.

To all who voted yes on Prop 8, or who would have if they were CA residents: keep your "morals" off of people's civil rights!!!! Your "morality" has no place in dictating the rights of ALL people to marry, and the right of ALL humans to LOVE.

PROTECT LOVE: fight back against Prop 8!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Marriage" needs to be greater defined in a legal capacity. I am in favor of civil unions. I am in favor of equal protection under the law. I was under the belief that "marriage" is a power of the church. Civil Unions are any coupling done in a non-religious capacity. As our society has moved to a more secular lifestyle we have failed to adjust our historic position on marriage legally, and thusly it is inadequate to represent the legal issues of civil unions today. Speaking of persecution, I have never seen religion so openly attacked as I have during this last election. Whatever happened to freedom from religious persecution? People have been as verbally abusive to those people who's beliefs tell them a certain act is immoral. That's their right. They have the right to be intolerant. I think it's quite profound that a state as liberal as California would vote the initiative down. Black president.. sure, bring it on. Gay marriage?... Uh-Uh. At least it wasn't voted down at 61% like last time. Progress was made. Do I agree? No. Equal protection under the law for all citizens. Everyone loves democracy until they don't agree with the decision. Trying to force acceptance is just going to polarize this country further. People need time to come around, and ideas take time to take hold. Nothing new ever gains immediate acceptance.

Anonymous said...

HA! You require approval for comments! You totally don't welcome all comments! HA! Correct me if I'm wrong, but Buddhists aren't supposed to let something so base as a random internet critique bother them? A beach refuses no waves. HA!

Melanee said...

I agree fully that people cannot be forced to accept anything. Hell, there are enough white supremacists in this country to prove that the Civil Rights movement is still not really over; it now includes gay people in addition to people of color. It's just another battle to be fought, and an injustice to be spoken out against.

You seem to think you know me pretty well, oh entity who won't reveal your identity. You paint a fine portrait of yourself: no wonder you remain anonymous.

And, for the record, I do welcome all comments. That doesn't mean I have to post them.

Anonymous said...

When painting a picture of me its best to use lots of color, despite the fact that I'm red / green color blind. I am nothing. I am words on a screen.

I don't presume to know anything more about you than your writing invites. The first blog I posted was a response to your meditation/ spiritual promises. It sounded pretty Buddhist to me. Thus I make the Buddhist inference. Besides; who really knows anybody these days?